Senior Systems Engineer
£60,000 | England | Permanent
Posted 8 days ago
Senior Systems Engineer x2
A Senior Systems Engineer is needed to work within a Higher Education organisation, to provide the expertise and skills required to support, maintain and make planned improvements to internal infrastructure to ensure it is reliable, secure and continues to meet business needs. Working with external vendors and internal resources, the Senior Systems Engineer will ensure that IT systems and services meet quality standards and conform to best practice.
The Senior Systems Engineer will report directly to the IT Service Manager and will be responsible for proactively managing infrastructure projects and service requests, and, where necessary, escalating issues to their line manager.
* This is a permanent position, with a salary of between £55,000 to £60,000 per annum (DOE).
* The two roles can be based is separate locations, either near London or near Preston, however they operate a predominantly remote working structure, going on-site a maximum of once per month.
One Senior Systems Engineer will focus on Network, with the other on Security.
Key Accountabilities & Tasks
* Provide technical direction working with internal and external resources/suppliers to deliver solutions that meet the operational needs of the business, as directed by the IT Service Manager.
* Install new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
* Easily recognises system deficiencies, and implement effective solutions whilst developing and maintaining installation and configuration procedures.
* Contribute to and maintain system standards and policies.
* Research and recommend innovative technologies or system changes that can deliver improvements in efficiency and where possible identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
* Manage and update the Disaster Recovery plan as required.
* Work sympathetically and effectively with IT and business staff as well as customers.
* Carry out in-house system testing as required with new systems.
* Liaise with and manage 3 rd party vendors/relationships
Networking Senior Systems Engineer:
* OS, Active Directory
* Group Policies
* Office 365
* Cisco Switch
* Layer 3 Routing
* Power over Ethernet, or PoE
Security Senior Systems Engineer:
* ISO 27001
* Network Security
* Local Policies, Group Policies
* VM Ware
* HP San
* Site Replication Manager
Other Job Related Knowledge
* Active Directory and Group Policies
* MS Server 2008R2 /2012 R2
* MS Exchange 2007/13 + Exchange 365
* MS SCCM and WSUS 2012
* MS DFS and namespaces
* Network Setup including TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP configuration
* Network Hardware including switches and Firewalls
* Desktop software including Office 365,- Windows 10
Cloud based phone systems
* Excellent people-management skills, and ability to motivate
* Professional and service-oriented attitude towards users and customers
* Excellent communication skills (verbal & written) for a range of audiences Able to prioritise unsupervised
* Ability to systematically troubleshoot complex problems
* Problem Solver
* Solid time management, planning and organising skills
* Capability to ensure accountability and cost-effectiveness within internal infrastructure team
* Project management experience
* Service management experience
* MCSA/MCSE 2008 - 2012 Qualified or equivalent experience
* Previous experience engineering and deploying scalable, highly available solutions utilising roles within Windows Server: DHCP, DNS, AD, Print, File Services, DFS across multiple sites.
* Competent with Microsoft SQL Server, Exchange server to Office 365 administration, architecting and implementation.
* Good understanding of HP MSA storage systems
* VCP5 (VMware vSphere 5.5 and 6). Clustering, Networking, HA, DR.
* Able to support and administer cloud based application infrastructure solutions in AWS, Oracle Cloud and others.
* Backup solution architecting and administration using Veeam and other software
* Good understanding of IPv4 Networking and IPv6. Configuration and routing on Cisco, Watchguard and other vendor hardware.
InterQuest Group is acting as an employment agency for this vacancy. InterQuest Group is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of age, disability, gender, religion/belief, race, marriage, civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, sex or sexual orientation. Please make us aware if you require any reasonable adjustments throughout the recruitment process.