Digital Project Manager Scrum Master (Website)
£75,000 | Greater London | Permanent
Posted +1 month ago
Contract Type: Fixed-Term until December 2020
Working Pattern: Full Time
Working Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: Up to £75,000 plus 3% flex benefit
To proactively lead the delivery of the Website Replacement project. Providing skilled project management controls including acting as the Scrum Master and Delivery Manager ensuring quality and a consistent delivery pace whilst owning, recording and escalating risk and issues in delivery to the Product Owner and senior stakeholders.
* Manages the strategic TLS Website Replacement project, ensuring successful end-to-end delivery in terms of time, cost, quality and benefits
* Develops relationships with the project sponsor, product owner and stakeholders updating them of progress on a regular basis and ensuring delivery of the Product Roadmap
* Works with internal stakeholders and third-party suppliers to influence and shape project delivery whilst maximising benefit to the organisation, ensuring alignment on scope, deliverables and measures of success
* Building and managing a multidisciplinary team, guiding them to produce timely work of a high standard, developing team members and their performance whilst managing conflict to support delivery of a successful project
* Identifies and uses innovative methods and approaches to resolve project and business issues
* Applies the agreed project management standards, processes and tools to ensure a methodical and consistent approach, including assumptions, risk and issue registers, dependency and lessons learned logs, stakeholder communication plans, change registers, programme and project plans, and stage and financial control documents
* Manages project budgets and resources effectively to deliver value and quality whilst meeting deadlines
* Facilitates and documents lessons learned reviews for the delivered project and makes recommendations to drive continuous improvement
* Delivers project documents to the required quality (clear, concise, complete, accurate, well written and with all relevant stakeholders demonstrably engaged), using approved guidelines and templates
* Completes project/programme status reporting in line with agreed standards, ensuring transparency and consistency across the portfolio
* Establishes effective working relationships with colleagues at all levels including other transformation programme teams to ensure effective delivery of project tasks and products
* Agile coaching: guiding the delivery team and organisation on how to use Agile/Scrum practices and values to delight customers
* Ownership of Agile Principles: coaching the team on agile principles - and helping to put these into practice, for example by suggesting trying hard stories first to fail fast, or by thinking ahead to what will be shown at Sprint Planning and ensuring working software is available for this by planning the Sprint effectively
* Planning and Ceremonies: facilitating the ceremonies of Scrum (daily scrums, sprint planning, show-and-tell and retrospectives) and ensuring sprint plans and backlogs are reliable, practical, and achievable for the team
* Daily planning and roles and responsibilities: guiding the team on how to get the most out of self-organisation and daily planning of roles and responsibilities
* Delivery management and planning: working with the Product Owner to ensure deliverability of the Product Roadmap, and advising on the technology best-practice approaches and methods to achieve the outcomes desired by the business. The Scrum Master will own the delivery of this on time and above customer expectation.
* Assessing and improving Delivery Maturity: Assessing the Scrum Maturity of the team and organisation and coaching the team to higher levels of maturity and thus efficiency, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organisation
* Risk and issue management: removing impediments or guiding the team to remove impediments by finding the right personnel and escalations; this will include being the owner of the RAID log for the Scrum, working closely with the Product Owner on this
* Owning team building: building a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis on healing and problem solving
* Product Owner support and education: supporting and educating the Product Owner, especially with respect to grooming and maintaining the product backlog; also supporting the Product Owner in roadmap development, ensuring that release management is effective, properly resourced and costed, and thus doesn't over-promise to the business
* Delivery Efficiency: facilitating discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution around improving delivery efficiency and team working, especially through owning sprint retrospectives and ownership of improvement actions from the retrospectives. The Scrum Master will also measure delivery efficiency through managing and recording story points and burndown velocity, and will be in charge of making the work of the delivery team predictable and sustainable.
* Communications: assisting the Product Owner with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information to the business. The Scrum Master will be responsible for writing sprint and monthly reports, and for organising and facilitating show-and-tells and other communications ceremonies as necessary in collaboration with the Product Owner.
* Credibility as Servant Leader: providing all support to the team using a servant leadership style whenever possible, and leading by example, being seen by the business and development team as a credible person in respect to efficient product development
* Backlog maturity and fitness for purpose: while the backlog is formally owned by the Product Owner, the Scrum Master will facilitate Backlog Grooming sessions and help to "translate" the business backlog into technical delivery terms.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
* Extensive experience in leading multifaceted website project deliveries within complex organisations, with budgets > £2M
* An in-depth understanding of all aspects of website deployment and configuration, including content and UX workstreams
* Confident in providing advice on website functionality (and associated products) and likely delivery limitations or risks
* Complex website integration/interface delivery experience
* Experience of managing matrix teams
* Strong communication and stakeholder management skills (listening, influencing and persuasiveness), capable of dealing effectively with all levels of staff
* Scrum Qualification, and / or experience of managing products in Agile Scrum, or Scrum-related agile methodologies, as a scrum master or equivalent development team coach
* Talented facilitator and coach, with wide experience of methodological implementation in traditional IT departments or waterfall businesses.
* Knowledge of agile metrics and objects, such as tasks, backlog tracking, burndown metrics, velocity, user stories
* Knowledge of MS Office suite to intermediate level including MS Project and MS Visio
* Experience managing a portfolio of product projects or goals, especially where these relate to customer engagement outcomes through a website/ CRM - experience of customer contact, customer communications, member management and customer analytics
* A natural pragmatic thinker, with experience of iterative delivery of business-critical strategies and plans
* A literate and credible individual, with an excellent understanding and experience of website capabilities and their impact on the business
* A natural servant leader, with wide experience of managing diverse teams and dealing with sensitivities within these
* Thorough planner and self-manager, with experience of planning within a Scrum environment, and managing Product Owner expectations and messaging in an Agile way
* Experience of managing technical suppliers from both a delivery and performance point of view, as well as working with internal service transition teams to put products into business-as-usual ownership
* In-depth knowledge of the technology capabilities needed to implement effective customer engagement in an organisation.
* Ability to think and act pragmatically and objectively in-sprint, balancing the need for delivery of particular objectives with the reality of development and implementation
* Particularly important is the experience of managing and escalating risk and issues in Scrum, and of owning issues and getting them solved potentially at the highest levels of management
* Strong, clear and accurate reporting skills, bringing honesty, clarity, and above all demonstrable results in understandable language to the highest level stakeholders
* The ability to work well under pressure and deliver to deadlines within all areas of the business
* Understanding of the business change impacts of Scrum work and delivery, and experience of holding Product Owners to account for the delivery of change plans and interdependencies
* Experienced owner of RAID, RACI and other project documentation, and particularly owning the quality and consistency of development documentation
* Strong knowledge of agile techniques such as Continuous Integration, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games.
* Knowledge of agile methodologies and frameworks outside of Scrum such as Kanban, XP
* Qualifications in PRINCE2 and MSP
* Experience of using Azure DevOps (VSTS), specifically managing a Product Backlog within the tool
* Understanding of similar organisations (professional bodies, accrediting bodies, legal organisations etc)
Planning & Organising
* Planning and organising own work as well as work of the development team and helping to plan the Product Owner's input into t